How Digital Advertising Works
Advertising is a fundamental part of the services we provide. Our advertising business and the ads that we and our partners show you allow us to provide you with many of our products and services for free. In this page, we’ll walk you through how digital advertising works at Verizon Media, the different players involved, and how we use your data to personalise your ads.
Here’s a brief summary of our advertising business, and some of the areas that we’re going to cover in this page.
- When you visit our , you’ll almost always see ads. These ads come in many formats, including video, image-based (often called ‘display’ or ‘banner’ ads), and sponsored listings.
- The ads that you see on our Products are sometimes provided by us, but also by our advertising technology partners.
- You decide whether you want the ads that you see to be personalised for you. Some of our users prefer to see ads that are matched to their interests, devices and location. Others don’t - and that’s okay too! We give you the control to decide what works best for you.
- We also provide ads to you on our partners’ websites, apps and connected TVs through our .
- You can manage how we and our partners use your data to personalize ads on our Products and Services in Your Privacy Controls.
- Most advertisers want to show users personalised ads because advertisers believe ads that related to their users’ interests or behaviours are most effective. As a result, most of our advertising business focuses on showing personalised ads. However, we do show ads that aren’t based on users’ interests, devices and location as well (often called ‘contextual’ ads).
The following steps describe the lifecycle of our interaction with a user, from the first time we interact with him, to the measurement and reporting of a personalised ad that we show him on our Products or through our Services.